Carole Topol Orland
Carole Topol Orland is a founding member and partner at BRODER & ORLAND LLC. She has been practicing family and matrimonial law for more than thirty years and has extensive experience representing clients in Fairfield County and throughout Connecticut in matters involving all aspects of family and matrimonial law, including divorce, alimony, child support and custody and the division of assets. Carole has handled some of the most complex and high net-worth cases in Connecticut. Clients seek her counsel in developing pre-nuptial and post-nuptial agreements, negotiating fair divorce settlements, mediating divorces and, when necessary, vigorously advocating on their behalf in litigation. She endeavors to make family legal issues as "painless" as possible. Carole is adept at adjusting her personal style of practice to the situation at hand, from collaborating in negotiations to assertively advocating at trial.
Carole is well respected in the legal community for her skills as a family law attorney and the results she achieves for her clients. She has received an AV rating™, the highest possible rating in both legal ability and ethical standards, earned through a strenuous peer and judicial review process by Martindale-Hubbell ®, the most established peer review rating authority. In addition, she has been designated a Top Lawyer in three categories: Arbitration and Mediation, Family Law, and Matrimonial Law in Westport, Greenwich, Stamford, New Canaan/Darien and Fairfield Magazines. She has been selected to the 2013-2016 Connecticut Super Lawyers® List in the area of Family Law. Each year, no more than 5% of the lawyers in the state are selected to receive this honor; Super Lawyers Selection Process.
Additionally, Carole has been named among the Top 10 Attorneys in Family Law in Connecticut by The National Academy of Family Law Attorneys in 2014, 2015 and 2016. NAFLA's Board of Governors awards this distinction annually to the Top 10 Family Attorneys within the state. Criteria include client and peer reviews, length of time practicing family law, trial experience and case outcomes, published articles and legal awards.
A native of Worcester, Massachusetts, Carole began her career there as an Assistant District Attorney, prosecuting several high profile felony cases. She subsequently established herself in private practice and concentrated on divorce, matrimonial, family, and criminal matters. She successfully handled the first surrogacy case to be decided by the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court, ultimately winning custody for the child’s father.
Carole is a member of the Fairfield County Bar Association, including its Family Law Section. She is also a member and former Executive Committee member of the Family Law Section of the Connecticut Bar. Carole is an active volunteer on behalf of families. She serves as a Special Master in both the Bridgeport and Stamford Superior Courts and serves as a volunteer lawyer in the Connecticut Judicial Branch/Stamford Volunteer Lawyer Program.
Carole has served as both a panelist and a moderator at the Bench-Bar Symposiums on Professionalism sponsored by the Fairfield and Connecticut Bar Associations and the State of Connecticut Judicial Branch. And, has presented to various financial organizations and professional groups on topics relating to family and matrimonial law. She most recently authored an article entitled: "Who Gets the House in a Divorce" published by the Fairfield County Business Journal (August 17, 2015). Carole is admitted to practice in Connecticut, New York, the District of Columbia, Massachusetts and the U.S. District Court.
Carole is deeply involved in the Westport, Connecticut community, where she lives with her husband. She is a Trustee of the Westport Library and serves on its Governance/Nominating Committee. She has also served as a Committee Chair for Near and Far Aid. Carole is the mother of two adult children and a proud grandmother.
Distinctions, Honors and Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell AV rating™
- NAFLA Top 10 Family Law Attorneys in Connecticut, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Connecticut Super Lawyers ® as listed in New England Super Lawyers ®, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Top Lawyer; Arbitration and Mediation, Family Law and Matrimonial Law in Westport, Greenwich, Stamford, New Canaan/Darien and Fairfield Magazines
Publications and Presentations
- Bench-Bar Symposium on Professionalism, Connecticut Bar Association, in collaboration with Fairfield County Bar Association and State of Connecticut Judicial Branch, Moderator, Family Session, 2016
- Who Gets the House in a Divorce?, Fairfield County Business Journal, August 17, 2015
- Separation Agreements in Plain Speak, Fairfield County Bar Association Newsletter, Winter 2013
- Bench-Bar Symposium on Professionalism, Connecticut Bar Association, in collaboration with Fairfield County Bar Association and State of Connecticut Judicial Branch, Panelist, Family Session, 2011
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Fairfield County Bar Association, Family Law Section
- Member, 2003 - Present
- Connecticut Bar Association, Family Law Section
- Member, 2003 - Present
- Executive Committee, 2003 - 2010
Pro Bono Activities
- Connecticut Judicial Branch Stamford Family Volunteer Attorney Program - Volunteer Attorney, 2012 - Present
- Special Master, Stamford Superior Court, 2005 - Present
- Special Master, Bridgeport Superior Court, 2005 - Present
Past Employment Positions
- Fitzmaurice & Siegel, Stamford, CT, 2003 - 2005
- Wolfson Keenan Cotton & Meagher, Worcester, MA, 1984 - 2002
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Assistant District Attorney, Worcester, MA, 1979 - 1984
- Connecticut, 2002
- New York, 1997
- District of Columbia, 1996
- Massachusetts, 1977
- U.S. District Court, 1979
- New England School of Law, Boston, Massachusetts
- J.D. - 1977
- Boston University
- B.A (Cum Laude) - 1974
- Westport Library, Trustee, 2013 - Present
- Governance/Nominating Committee Member, 2015 - Present
- Finance Committee Member, 2013 - 2015
- Near and Far Aid, Committee Chair, 2012 - 2013