Eric J. Broder, Attorney
Co-Founder and Partner
Email: E-mail Me
Eric J. Broder is a founding member and partner at BRODER & ORLAND LLC. He is an AV Preeminent™ rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell®, the highest possible rating in both legal ability and ethical standards, earned through a strenuous peer and judicial review procedure. He has also been designated a “Top Lawyer” in three categories: Arbitration and Mediation, Family Law, and Matrimonial Law in Westport, Greenwich, New Canaan/Darien and Fairfield Magazines. Eric has been selected to the 2010, 2013-2017 Connecticut Super Lawyers® List in the area of Family Law. Each year, no more than 5% of the lawyers in the state are selected to receive this honor; Super Lawyers Selection Process.
Additionally, Eric has been named among the Top 10 Attorneys in Family Law in Connecticut by The National Academy of Family Law Attorneys for both 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017. NAFLA’s Board of Governors awards this distinction annually to the Top 10 Family Attorneys within the state. Criteria include client and peer reviews, length of time practicing family law, trial experience and case outcomes, published articles and legal awards.
Eric is highly respected within the legal community. Recently, he was elected to serve on the House of Delegates for the Connecticut Bar Association as a Representative for Westport, Weston, Wilton and Norwalk (District 3). He is also the Immediate Past President of the Fairfield County Bar Association, serves on its Nominating Committee and was Co-Chair of the Family Law Section for six years. Additionally, he is a Past President of the Fairfield County Bar Foundation, the charitable arm of the Fairfield County Bar Association.
Eric has extensive experience with all divorce-related issues, including child custody, alimony and child support, property distribution, business valuation, prenuptial and postnuptial agreements and post-judgment issues. He has tried many complex and difficult cases in the Connecticut courts. Drawing upon his trial and litigation experience enables him to serve as an effective mediator as well.
Eric has appeared as a legal commentator on NBC’s Today Show, News 12 Connecticut and regularly speaks to attorneys, accountants, financial professionals, therapists and the general public on family and matrimonial issues. He delivered a presentation to the Fairfield County Family Bar based on the results of the state-wide survey he developed, entitled “You Be the Judge.”This program won high acclaim and resulted in Eric being featured in the “On the Record” section of the February 11, 2013, issue of the Connecticut Law Tribune.
Eric is admitted to the Bar in Connecticut and New York. He volunteers as a Special Master in the Family Divisions of the Stamford and Bridgeport Superior Courts. He is also a Special Master at the Regional Family Trial Docket for contested custody cases in the Middletown Courthouse.
Eric began his family law career at Blank Rome LLP in New York, one of the region’s largest and most prestigious matrimonial and family law practices. He earned his J.D. from Temple University School of Law in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and his B.A. at Tulane University in New Orleans, Louisiana.
A native of Westchester County, New York Eric now resides with his family in Fairfield County. He is very active in his community; serving as a member of the Board of Directors of the Tiny Miracles Foundation, a member of The CEO Roundtable Group and as a Little League Coach.
Distinctions, Honors and Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent™ rating
- NAFLA Top 10 Family Law Attorneys in Connecticut, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Connecticut Super Lawyers® as listed in New England Super Lawyers®, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Top Lawyer, Arbitration and Mediation, Family Law, and Matrimonial Law, in Westport, Greenwich, Stamford, New Canaan/Darien and Fairfield Magazines
Publications and Presentations
- Top Ten Family Law Decisions, specifically Dan v. Dan, Maturo v. Maturo and Borkowski v. Borkowski, Guest Speaker, Connecticut Bar Association’s Annual Conference, June 12, 2017
- “Establishing and Modifying Support Orders after Dan v. Dan,” Guest Speaker, Connecticut Bar Association’s 2016 Connecticut Legal Conference, June 13, 2016
- “Family Law and Immigration: The Basics of Immigration Law for Family Law Practitioners,” January 2016
- Connecticut’s Nonadversarial Law, Connecticut News 12, October 2015
- “You Be the Judge,” Fairfield County Bar Association Presentation, February 2013
- “On the Record,” Connecticut Law Tribune, February 11, 2013
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Connecticut Bar Association
- House of Delegates, District 3, 2015 – Present
- Fairfield County Bar Association, Past President
- Member of Board of Directors, 2005 – 2014
- Member of Family Law Section, 1998 – Present
- Professionalism Symposium Committee, 2010 – 2015
- Nominating Committee, 2010 – 2015
- Co-Chair of Family Law Section, 2006 – 2011
- Fairfield County Bar Foundation Past President and Member, 2007 – Present
- American Inns of Court, Member, 2009 – Present
- The American Academy for Certified Financial Litigators, Founding Member, 2015 – Present
Pro Bono Activities
- Special Master, Stamford Superior Court, 2005 – Present
- Special Master, Bridgeport Superior Court, 2005 – Present
- Special Master, Middletown Superior Court, 2013 – Present
Past Employment Positions
- Fitzmaurice & Siegel, Stamford, CT, 2002 – 2005
- Blank Rome, LLP, New York, NY, 1998 – 2002
- Connecticut, 1996
- New York, 1996
- Temple University School of Law, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- J.D. – 1995
- Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana
- B.A. – 1992
- Member of The CEO Roundtable, 2013 – Present
- The Tiny Miracles Foundation, Member of Board of Directors, 2012 – Present, Member of Development Committee, 2013 – Present, Member of Governance, Nominating Committee, 2013 – Present
- Little League Coach, 2007 – 2015
- Premier Travel Soccer Coach, 2014 – Present